Final: Phillies 1, Reds 2.
WP: Mat Latos (12-4, 3.69 ERA) LP: Kyle Kendrick (8-10, 3.96 ERA) SV: Aroldis Chapman (35)
Tonight's game remained scoreless until the top of the fourth inning with the bases loaded and nobody out, as Domonic Brown walked a runner in to score Chase Utley on third.
With one out in the top of the fifth inning, Jimmy Rollins hit his 32nd double of the season to right field. That would be his 2,000th hit in his major-league career- the fourth player in Phillies history to accomplish such a feat. He is the 30th switch-hitter and 271st overall player in MLB history to reach the prestigious milestone.
Kyle Kendrick came into tonight's game having won in each of his previous four starts, in which he lasted no less than six and two-thirds innings in all of them. Tonight, he had everything going for him up until the bottom of the sixth, when he allowed a two-run home run to Jay Bruce, giving the Reds a 2-1 lead.
Kendrick picked up his fifth straight quality start, lasting six innings, as he allowed two runs on six hits and one walk. He unfortunately suffered the loss, however, as the Phillies offense was non-existent for the remainder of the evening. In fact, most of the evening, as they only picked up four hits in total.
RHP Roy Halladay (8-7) starts in the series finale tomorrow afternoon against RHP Mike Leake (7-8). Doc is (3-1) with a 3.08 in 52.2 career innings against the Reds, while Leake is (0-2) with a 8.03 ERA in 24.2 career innings against the Phillies.
The Cincinnati right-hander last opposed the Phillies on August 20th of this season. He received the loss, throwing just 4.1 innings and allowing seven runs on ten hits.
The game, starting at 12:35 pm EST, can be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Kyle Kendrick: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 3.96 ERA
- Mat Latos: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 3.69 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (7th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.48 ERA
- B.J. Rosenberg (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 12.34 ERA
- Jake Diekman* (8th): 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.64 ERA
- Justin De Fratus (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
* Jake Diekman failed to retire a batter during his appearance in the 8th inning.Cincinnati
- Jonathan Broxton (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.70 ERA
- Aroldis Chapman (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 1.23 ERA
- Top of the 4th (Phillies 1, Reds 0): Domonic Brown walks. Chase Utley scores.
- Bottom of the 6th (Phillies 1, Reds 2): Jay Bruce homers (31) on a line drive to right field. Ryan Ludwick scores.
- Wednesday, September 5, 2012; 12:35 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (65-71) at Cincinatti Reds (83-54)
- Roy Halladay (8-7, 4.02 ERA) vs. Mike Leake (7-8, 4.45 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.