WP: Roy Halladay (9-7, 3.87 ERA) LP: Mike Leake (7-9, 4.73 ERA)
This afternoon against Roy Halladay, infielder Joey Votto returned to the Reds' lineup for the first time since mid-July. In his first at-bat in the first, he singled with two-outs on a line drive to left fielder Juan Pierre. Votto ended up going 2-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
The Phillies' bats exploded with four runs in the top of the second inning. Three of them came from Erik Kratz's ninth home run of the season, a three run blast to left field with nobody out.
An inning later, Chase Utley hit his 198th career home run over the center field fence, which brought home two additional runs to give the Phillies an early, commanding lead of 6-0. That would be it for Leake, as he lasted just 2.1 innings today, allowing six runs on six hits. Also, that'd be it for the Phillies offense as they did not score again for the remainder the action. The Reds bullpen retired the last 17 Phils batters in a row.
Roy Halladay was dominant today against the Reds. He escaped his first three innings today having only thrown 30 pitches and allowing one hit. 22 of them were for strikes. Doc ended up throwing 7.1 total innings, allowing just one run on 8 hits and 1 walk. 69 of his 104 total pitches were thrown for strikes. Antonio Bastardo and Jonathan Papelbon relieved Halladay in the 8th and 9th to close out the ballgame.
The Phils will have off tomorrow, Thursday, as they get ready for the NL West's Colorado Rockies for a weekend series home at Citizens Bank Park. LHP Cliff Lee (4-7) will oppose LHP Jeff Francis (5-4) in the first game of the series which starts at 7:05 pm EST.
Lee, in 13 career innings against Colorado, is (1-1) with a 2.08 ERA. Jeff Francis is also (1-1) in his career against the opposing Phillies, as he has a 6.03 ERA in 31.1 innings.
The game can be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Roy Halladay: 7.1 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 0 HR, 3.87 ERA
- Mike Leake: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2 HR, 4.73 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.74 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR, 3.12 ERA
- Alfredo Simon (3rd, 4th, 5th): 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.47 ERA
- Sam LeCure (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.10 ERA
- Sean Marshall (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.96 ERA
- Pedro Villarreal ML Debut (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Top of the 2nd (Phillies 1, Reds 0): Domonic Brown singles on a sharp ground ball to center fielder Chris Heisey. Ryan Howard scores.
- Top of the 2nd (Phillies 4, Reds 0): Erik Kratz homers (9) on a fly ball to left field. John Mayberry, Domonic Brown score.
- Top of the 3rd (Phillies 6, Reds 0): Chase Utley homers (10) on a fly ball to center field. Juan Pierre scores.
- Bottom of the 4th (Phillies 6, Reds 1): Jay Bruce doubles (33) on a line drive to right fielder Domonic Brown. Chris Heisey scores.
- Bottom of the 9th (Phillies 6, Reds 2): Jay Bruce homers (32) on a fly ball to left field.
- Friday, September 7, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (66-71) vs. Colorado Rockies (56-78)
- Cliff Lee (4-7, 3.52 ERA) vs. Jeff Francis (5-4, 5.73 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.