WP: Wesley Wright (2-2, 3.19 ERA) LP: Antonio Bastardo (2-5, 4.63 ERA) SV: Wilton Lopez (6)
Trailing 2-1 with two outs in the top of the fifth inning, Juan Pierre came through with a clutch double to tie the game, his tenth of the season, scoring Jimmy Rollins on third base. Previous score in today's game came from a Chase Utley sac-fly RBI in the first inning and a two-run home run by Scott Moore off of Roy Halladay in the third inning.
The same inning in the fifth, a batter later after Chase Utley was intentionally walked, Ryan Howard hit a two-out, two-run double on a line drive to left field to give the Phillies a 4-2 lead.
Houston cut their deficit in half, as Carlos Corporan hit his fourth home run of the season for the Astros in the bottom of the sixth. In the bottom of the seventh, the Phillies' bullpen faltered yet again, as the Astros scored for runs in that inning, two each off of Antonio Bastardo and Phillippe Aumont.
The Fightin' Phils would not go down without a fight. With two runners on and one out in the top of the eighth, Domonic Brown doubled for the ninth time this season and brought home Carlos Ruiz and John Mayberry. That effort would not be enough, as they were not able to assemble a comeback in the top of the ninth inning.
The Phillies will travel to New York for the final time this season for a three-game series to end the road-trip before returning home to face the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals. Cliff Lee (5-7) will oppose Mets' knuckleballer ace, R.A. Dickey (18-5) Monday evening in the first game of the series. The game will start at 7:10 pm EST.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Roy Halladay: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO, 2 HR, 4.03 ERA
- Jordan Lyles: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 5.40 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (7th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.63 ERA
- Phillippe Aumont (7th): 0.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.00 ERA
- Justin De Fratus (7th, 8th): 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Hector Ambriz (6th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 4.63 ERA
- Wesley Wright (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.19 ERA
- Xavier Cedeno (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.28 ERA
- Mickey Storey (8th): 0.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.65 ERA
- Wilton Lopez (8th, 9th): 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.24 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 1, Astros 0): Chase Utley out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Jimmy Paredes. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Bottom of the 3rd (Phillies 1, Astros 2): Scott Moore homers (8) on a line drive to left field. Jimmy Paredes scores.
- Top of the 5th (Phillies 2, Astros 2): Juan Pierre doubles (10) on a line drive to left fielder J.D. Martinez. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Top of the 5th (Phillies 4, Astros 2): Ryan Howard doubles (11) on a line drive to left fielder J.D. Martinez. Juan Pierre, Chase Utley score.
- Bottom of the 6th (Phillies 4, Astros 3): Carlos Corporan homers (4) on a fly ball to right field.
- Bottom of the 7th (Phillies 4, Astros 5): Justin Maxwell doubles (10) on a fly ball to right fielder Nate Schierholtz. Jose Altuve, Jimmy Paredes score.
- Bottom of the 7th (Phillies 4, Astros 7): Matt Dominguez singles on a ground ball to left fielder Domonic Brown. Brandon Laird scores.
- Top of the 8th (Phillies 6, Astros 7): Domonic Brown doubles (9) on a fly ball to center field Justin Maxwell. Carlos Ruiz, John Mayberry score.
- Monday, September 17, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (73-74) at New York Mets (66-80)
- Cliff Lee (5-7, 3.36 ERA) vs. R.A. Dickey (18-5, 2.68 ERA)
- TV: CSN, MLBN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.