WP: Tim Hudson (16-6, 3.61 ERA) LP: Cliff Lee (6-8, 3.18 ERA) SV: Craig Kimbrel (39)
The Phillies offense surely was silented against Braves' ace, Tim Hudson. They only picked up two hits and one run off of him, a sac-fly RBI which came from Chase Utley in the bottom of the sixth.
Cliff Lee did all one could ask for today, going eight innings and allowing just one earned run while striking out 11 batters. 84 of his 117 total pitches were thrown for strikes. His offense unfortunately did not produce enough to give Lee an even, (7-7) overall record for the 2012 regular season.
Lee now has 23 career double-digit strikeout games. Also, he set a major-league record today with 15 consecutive starts of at least six innings pitched and one walk or fewer.
The Phillies will have off tomorrow, Monday, as they welcome the Washington Nationals into town for a three game series starting Tuesday evening to wrap up the final homestand of the season.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Tim Hudson: 7.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR, 3.61 ERA
- Cliff Lee: 8.0 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 SO, 1 HR, 3.18 ERA
- Eric O'Flaherty (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 1.82 ERA
- Craig Kimbrel (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.08 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.30 ERA.
- Top of the 2nd (Braves 1, Phillies 0): David Ross homers (8) on a fly ball to center field.
- Top of the 3rd (Braves 2, Phillies 0): Dan Uggla out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder John Mayberry. Reed Johnson scores.
- Bottom of the 6th (Braves 2, Phillies 1): Chase Utley out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Jason Heyward. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Tuesday, September 25, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (77-76) vs. Washington Nationals (92-59)
- TBA vs. TBA
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.