WP: Kyle Kendrick (9-10, 3.83 ERA) LP: Wade LeBlanc (2-4, 2.95 ERA) SV: Antonio Bastardo (1)
Things finally got underway offensively tonight in the bottom of the fifth inning, after a Ty Wigginton walk. Domonic Brown blasted his second home run of the season to deep right field for the first scoring play of the game. Later in the inning Michael Martinez scored from third on a wild pitch by opposing starter Wade LeBlanc, increasing the Phillies' lead to three runs.
Kyle Kendrick had a no-hitter going for him up until the top of the sixth inning. It was sadly broken up, but that doesn't take away from the stellar start he had tonight. He tossed a career-high eight strikeouts in the contest over seven innings, allowing just one run on two hits and three walks. 60 of his 95 total pitches were thrown for strikes. Antonio Bastardo picked up his first save of the season in the ninth, retiring the side without allowing a runner in scoring position.
Every win is a paramount going into the final weeks of the 2012 regular season. The Phillies were just six games out of the wild card going into tonight, and scoreboard-watching as some may like to say will surely be done by the Phillies faithful and the team itself alike. Roy Halladay starts tomorrow evening against Nathan Eovaldi, the starter acquired by Miami in the Hanley Ramirez trade back in July of this season. The game will start at 7:05 pm EST, and can be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Wade LeBlanc: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR, 2.95 ERA
- Kyle Kendrick: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 SO, 0 HR, 3.83 ERA
- Dan Jennings (6th, 7th*): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.00 ERA
- Ryan Webb (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.14 ERA
- Mike Dunn (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.86 ERA
- Justin De Fratus (8th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Jake Diekman (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.43 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 4.57 ERA
- Bottom of the 5th (Marlins 0, Phillies 2): Domonic Brown homers (2) on a fly ball to right field. Ty Wigginton scores.
- Bottom of the 5th (Marlins 0, Phillies 3): With Jimmy Rollins batting, wild pitch by Wade LeBlanc. Michael Martinez scores.
- Top of the 7th (Marlins 1, Phillies 3): Donovan Solano out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Domonic Brown. Carlos Lee scores.
- Tuesday, September 11, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (70-71) vs. Miami Marlins (63-79)
- Roy Halladay (9-7, 3.87 ERA) vs. Nathan Eovaldi (4-11, 4.44 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.