WP: Yovani Gallardo (12-8, 3.67 ERA) LP: Vance Worley (6-8, 4.11 ERA)
Things were looking good for the Phillies up until the latter-half of the fourth inning tonight up in Milwaukee. The Phillies took a 1-0 lead off of Ryan Howard's fourth double of the season, a fly ball to center fielder Nyjer Morgan scoring Chase Utley. From that point on, everything went downhill- and fast.
With Worley retiring Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez , a single by Corey Hart and a Martin Maldonado walk was a precursor to what was to come. Domonic Brown, known for his fielding woes, botched a catchable fly ball hit by Nyjer Morgan, allowing both runners to subsequently score in the process.
The Phillies never recovered from that play the rest of the game, and even worse, Worley allowed a two-RBI double to the opposing pitcher in that same inning, giving the Brewers the 4-1 advantage. Vance went a total of 4.2 innings tonight, allowing 7 hits, 3 walks and 4 runs while only striking out 3 batters. His disappointing sophomore season continues.
Offensively, the bats only produced a total of six hits for the Phillies, two of which game in the top of the 9th inning to score another run, reducing the deficit to four runs, 6-2. The rally was not enough, however, as the team suffered their 65th loss of the season.
Cole Hamels (13-6) starts for the Phillies in the third game of the four game series Saturday evening against RHP Mike Fiers (6-5). Fiers has never faced the Phillies. In his last three starts, he is (2-1) and has posted a 6.19 ERA. Hamels has done way better recently, however, as he has thrown two consecutive shutouts and hasn't allowed a run in 22 consecutive innings pitched.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Vance Worley: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 4.11 ERA
- Yovani Gallardo: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO, 0 HR, 3.67 ERA
- B.J. Rosenberg (5th, 6th): 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR, 12.91 ERA
- Raul Valdes (7th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.38 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 1.06 ERA
- Francisco Rodriguez (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.23 ERA
- Livan Hernandez (9th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.13 ERA
- Top of the 4th (Phillies 1, Brewers 0): Ryan Howard doubles (4) on a fly ball to center fielder Nyjer Morgan. Chase Utley scores.
- Bottom of the 4th (Phillies 1, Brewers 2): Nyjer Morgan triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Laynce Nix, deflected by right fielder Domonic Brown. Corey Hart, Martin Maldonado score.
- Bottom of the 4th (Phillies 1, Brewers 4): Yovani Gallardo singles on a soft line drive to right fielder Domonic Brown. Nyjer Morgan, Jean Segura score.
- Bottom of the 6th (Phillies 1, Brewers 6): Ryan Braun homers (32) on a line drive to center field. Norichika Aoki scores.'
- Top of the 9th (Phillies 2, Brewers 6): Kevin Frandsen singles on a soft fly ball to center fielder Carlos Gomez. Laynce Nix scores.
- Saturday, August 18, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (54-65) at Milwaukee Brewers (54-64)
- Cole Hamels (13-6, 2.91 ERA) vs. Mike Fiers (6-5, 2.63 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.