Final: Mets 9, Phillies 5.
WP: Bobby Parnell (4-3, 3.02 ERA) LP: B.J. Rosenberg (0-2, 12.66 ERA)
Vance Worley's sophomore season has continued on its disappointing trend. The right-hander lasted just four and a third innings tonight on 60 pitches, 44 for strikes. He gave up four runs on nine hits, two of them to opposing lead-off hitter Ruben Tejada. In the Vanimal's last five starts, he is winless, posting an (0-3) record with a 6.75 ERA. Definitely not what the Phillies are looking for, as they make their last push in the final remaining weeks of the regular season to grab the second Wild Card spot.
The Phillies offense somewhat made-up for the shaky outing from Worley. Jimmy led-off the bottom half of the first with a walk. Frandsen then was hit by a pitch, and Utley followed with a walk from himself. Then came up Ryan Howard. What'd he do? Smack his 11th career grand slam over the center field fence, to give the Phillies a 4-1 lead. Howard now has 295 career home runs, 9 of them coming in 2012.
With the game tied at four in the bottom of the fifth, Chase Utley hit his ninth home run of the season to right field to give the Phillies the 5-4 lead. He is now just three home runs shy of having 200 for his career. Chris Young's night would end with him too throwing just four and a third innings like Worley.
The game was evened 5-5 in the top of the 10th as Kelly Shoppach doubled in the top of the 8th to tie the score. With B.J. Rosenberg throwing, it seemed as though the New York Mets took batting practice off the right-hander. They scored four runs in the inning, two of them coming from Shoppach's seventh home run of the season. The Phillies failed to answer back in the bottom half, and as a result they suffered their 68th loss of the season.
Update 8/29: Cole Hamels was scratched from Wednesday's game due to gastro illness. RHP Tyler Cloyd was called up in his place to make his major-league debut.
Phillies LHP ace Cole Hamels (14-6) opposes Mets RHP rookie, Matt Harvey (2-3) in the second game of this three game series. Hamels has not had a stellar history against the Phillies' division rival in 123.0 innings pitched, going (5-10) with a 4.39 ERA. His last start against the Mets came on July 5, 2012 at Citi Field, when he went seven innings and recieved the no-decision, allowing four runs.
The 68th home game of the season, starting at 7:05 pm EST, can be seen on CSN Philadelphia and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Chris Young: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR, 4.64 ERA
- Vance Worley: 4.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR, 4.20 ERA
- Robert Carson (5th, 6th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 5.06 ERA
- Ramon Ramirez (6th, 7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.30 ERA
- Josh Edgin (7th, 8th): 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.34 ERA
- Jon Rauch (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.06 ERA
- Bobby Parnell (9th, 10th): 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.02 ERA
- Raul Valdes (5th, 6th): 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.93 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (7th, 8th*): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR 3.70 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 5.13 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.65 ERA
- B.J. Rosenberg (10th): 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 1 HR, 12.66 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Mets 1, Phillies 4): David Wright singles on a ground ball to left fielder Domonic Brown. Ruben Tejada scores.
- Bottom of the 1st (Mets 1, Phillies 4): Ryan Howard hits a grand slam (9) to center field. Jimmy Rollins, Kevin Frandsen, Chase Utley score.
- Top of the 4th (Mets 3, Phillies 4): Mike Baxter homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Lucas Duda scores.
- Top of the 5th (Mets 4, Phillies 4): David Wright out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder John Mayberry. Ruben Tejada scores.
- Bottom of the 5th (Mets 4, Phillies 5): Chase Utley homers (9) on a fly ball to right field.
- Top of the 8th (Mets 5, Phillies 5): Kelly Shoppach doubles (13) on a line drive to left fielder Domonic Brown. David Wright scores.
- Top of the 10th (Mets 6, Phillies 5): Ike Davis doubles (21) on a fly ball to center fielder John Mayberry. David Wright scores.
- Top of the 10th (Mets 7, Phillies 5): Lucas Duda singles on a sharp line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Ike Davis scores.
- Top of the 10th (Mets 9, Phillies 5): Kelly Shoppach homers (7) on a fly ball to left field. Lucas Duda scores.
- Wednesday, August 29, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (61-68) vs. New York Mets (60-69)
- Cole Hamels (14-6, 2.99 ERA) Tyler Cloyd (0-0, - ERA) vs. Matt Harvey (2-3, 2.75 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.