Final: Mets 3, Phillies 2.
WP: Matt Harvey (3-3, 2.76 ERA) LP: Tyler Cloyd (0-1, 4.50 ERA) SV: Frank Francisco (22 SV, 5.94 ERA)
Earlier today, the Phillies scratched Cole Hamels from his start due to an illness. In order to fill that spot, they soon called up Tyler Cloyd, a AAA pitcher who had been cruising through the minor leagues this season.
Many young players have come up and tried to make a living in the show, but few have stayed. Cloyd went out there tonight and pitched a decent game. He threw around 102 pitches while getting through 6 innings. Cloyd only allowed 7 hits and 3 runs. The one big blow of the game was the 2-run home run that he served up to Lucas Duda in the bottom of the 3rd.
The Phillies offense went cold tonight. They were only able to muster up 6 hits for the entire game. Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins got the Phils’ on the board very early in the game.
All in all, Cloyd pitches well. Even though the Phillies did not win, they had a huge moral victory. Before leaving the game, Cloyd was able to retire 11 of the last 12 batters that he had faced. Since the Phillies have placed Vance Worley on the DL for the rest of the season, Cloyd will be the look that he deserves. With the Phillies basically out of the playoff race, their team will be competing for jobs. Look for Cloyd to impress Charlie Manuel and land himself a spot on the 25-man roster next season.
Tomorrow’s game is a day game that starts at 1:05 PM. Kyle Kendrick gets the start for the Phils’.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Matt Harvey: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 2.76 ERA
- Tyler Cloyd: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR, 4.50 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Josh Edgin (7th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.19 ERA
- Robert Carson (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.50 ERA
- John Rauch (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.04 ERA
- Frank Francisco (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 5.94 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 0.92 ERA
- *Antonio Bastardo (8th): 0.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.13 ERA
- Phillippe Aumont (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.64 ERA
* Did not record an out.
- Bottom of the 1st (Mets 0, Phillies 1): Ryan Howard out on a sacrifice fly to left field. Juan Pierre scores.
- Top of the 2nd (Mets 1, Phillies 1): Matt Harvey singles on a ground ball to left field. Scott Hairston scores.
- Bottom of the 2nd (Mets 1, Phillies 2): Jimmy Rollins doubles (29) on a line drive to right field. Kevin Frandsen scores.
- Top of the 3rd (Mets 3, Phillies 2): Lucas Duda homers (13) on a line drive to right field. Ike David scores.
- Thursday, August 30, 2012; 1:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (61-69) vs. New York Mets (61-69)
- Kyle Kendrick (7-9, 4.12 ERA) vs. Niese (10-7, 3.51 ERA)
- TV: CSN
Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP